The Abeda Inamdar Senior College is one of the institutions established and governed by The Maharashtra Cosmopolitan Education Society (M.C.E. Society). The M.C.E. Society, was established in the year 1948 by Late Mr. Abdul Kadir Khan and likeminded educationists, with an objective of providing education to the economically, educationally and socially weaker sections of the society. The M.C.E. Society is an educational society registered under the Society's Registration Act of 1860 and also a Public Trust registered under the Bombay Public Trust Act 1950. It is also registered under section 12 (a) of Income Tax Act 1961 and is exempted u/s 80G of the said Act by the Income Tax Commissioner, Pune.
The M.C.E. Society is one of the oldest educational organizations of Pune and has done pioneering work in the field of education. Even though established in the year 1948, right up to 1988 , the 23 acres of Azam Campus which houses most of the institutions run by the M.C.E. Society had only 2 high schools and 2 Primary Schools. The establishment and development of educational institutions actually began in the year 1989 with the establishment of Äbeda Inamdar Junior College. Today the M.C.E. Society governs Twenty-One educational Institutions imparting education in the field of Law, Architecture, Pharmacy,Management, I.T, Dentistry, Education, Arts, Science Commerce and Computer Science at Azam Campus. It has further acquired land at various places in Pune and its process of growth continues.
The M.C.E. Society’s President, Mr. P.A Inamdar has held this responsible position from 1983 till date. It is under the dynamic and visionary leadership of Mr. P.A. Inamdar, that MCE Society and Azam Campus grew in stature and gained recognition as a premier education hub.
Abeda Inamdar Senior College of Arts Science and Commerce, affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University was established with a donation from Mrs. Abeda Inamdar. The College was established in the year 1991-92 with one division each of B.Sc and B.Com. The Arts faculty was added in the year 1992-93 and B.Sc Computer Science was started in the year 1998. In 2001 M.Sc Computer Science began followed by MSc. Analytical Chemistry in 2002. In the very next year, 2003, the college established the Post Graduate Centres in English and Commerce. The expansion of the college continued with the establishment of the Post Graduate Centres in Microbiology and Mathematics in 2004; BBA (CA), M.Sc Analytical Chemistry and Ph.D Research Centre in Chemistry in 2005; BBA and M.A. Sociology in 2006; M.A Urdu in 2010; PhD Research Centres in Commerce and English in 2011 and M.A in Economics and Political Science in 2014.
The growth of the college was not just visible in increase in the number of courses but also in student strength. The college student strength has increased rapidly; from 100 in 1991-92, the year of establishment to 1,191 in the year 2000 to 4,685 in 2010 and 5,113 in the Academic Year 2016-17.
The College featured in the merit list of the Savitribai Phule Pune University for the first time in the Academic year 2004-05, with our student Miss Mifrah Abid securing the University Gold medal for M.A English. Since then there has been no looking back and each year a number of our students have featured in the University merit list. It is indeed a matter of pride that more than 50 of our students have featured in the merit lists of the SPPU during the last 10 Academic Years.
Since 2008 our college has consistently featured amongst the top five colleges of Pune City according to various surveys carried out and published in various issues of India Today. Issue dated 2nd June 2008, 25 th June 2009, 28 th June 1010, and 18th July 2011. It has also been recognized as an A grade College by NAAC, Bangalore. Another feather in the cap of achievement of our college is that we were awarded the Indira Gandhi National Level award for Best NSS Unit and Best NSS Program Officer by the Ministry of Youth Affairs, Government of India, in the year 2004.
The year 2015-16 was celebrated by the College as its Silver Jubilee Year. The college has done some path breaking work in making education accessible to the minorities and weaker sections of society. Thus today at 25 years the College stands proudly amongst the leading educational institutes of Pune.
About M.C.E. Society
Maharashtra Cosmopolitan Education Society (MCES), was established in the year 1948 by Late Mr.Abdul Kadir Khan and others, with an objective of providing education to the economically, educationally and socially weaker sections of the society. It is an educational society registered under the Societys Registration Act of 1860 and also a Public Trust registered under the Bombay Public Trust Act 1950. It is also registered under section 12(a)of Income Tax Act 1961 and is exempted u/s 80G of the said Act by the Income Tax Commissioner, Pune.
The M.C.E. Society is one of the oldest educational organizations of Pune & has done pioneering work in the field of education. Within a span of 15 years the M.C.E. Society from a humble beginning of 4 schools has been transformed into an excellent educational complex of higher, medical, technical and professional academic institutions in the field of Arts, Science, Commerce, Computer Science, Law, Education, Pharmacy, Management Sciences, Architecture, Dental Sciences, Hospitality Studies & Information Technology.
To impart quality education.
Higher education to students especially of Muslim minority and weaker sections of the society by providing good infrastructure and a motivating environment.
To inculcate benefits of the universal, cosmopolitan and pluralistic nature of our society.
To support the students for expressing their talent and creativity in academics, sports, training, extension activities and social fields.
To facilitate training in specific areas and to empower students for better employment opportunities
The quill and inkpot personifies the propagation of knowledge and inculcation of the creative spirit.
Laboratory experiment exemplifies the scientific pursuits and innovations leading to excellence.
The industrial wheel epitomizes the vision of research, development, commercial ventures and accelerated progress.
The computer embodies technological advancement and future- centric approach leading to empowerment.
President, Vice President & Principal Message
1. Capable of Independent learning
The college has interwoven into its Academic calendar, activities that give opportunities to the student to become independent learners. The college has given infrastructural and financial support to the students to achieve this objective.
2. A strong sense of civic responsibility
The college has NSS, NCC units which undertake work related to civic issues. The college has also adopted a village. Tree plantation drives, Orphange visits, green audit and Blood donation are other initiatives. The college has been part of huge social initiatives like the Guinness book record of the largest clothes collection drive for the needy. Students have been active participants in the Swatch Bharat Abhiyan.
3. Environmental consciousness
Green Audit, Anti-plastic initiative, tree plantation drive, Workshops, Guest lectures on Environmental issues, Study trips, vermin-compost pits, e-waste drive and many more such programmes makes the students aware and conscious of the Environment and its preservation through individual as well as collective efforts.
4. Patriotism and Tolerance
· The college has students from different religions, ethnic backgrounds and coming from different nationalities. This diversity is celebrated in the form of cultural programmes portraying the cultural richness of the various regions and countries that our students hail from.
· There are programmes conducted on Independence day, Republic day, Constitution day, Sadbhavana diwas, National Unity Day, Labour day by the parent society, including march-past and cultural programmes celebrating the landmark days in the creation of our nation and instilling pride in nationhood.
· The parent society organizes rallies on the occasion of birth anniversaries of various social and religious reformers and stalwarts like Mahatma Jyotiba Phule, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar, Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj and Prophet Mohammed (PBUH). All the Institutes on the campus participate in large numbers in these rallies which reflects our strong belief and conviction in communal harmony and Religious tolerance.
5. Soft Skills and Life Skills
Skill development programmes, Communication and Personality development workshops and Guest lectures by motivational speakers give the much needed exposure and opportunities to students to acquire and polish up skills which will give lifelong benefits.
6. Leadership qualities and Teamwork
Students are given ample opportunities during their course duration to take up activities challenging their capabilities and hone leadership qualities. The students conduct various fests, cultural programmes, look for sponsorships and manage finances. The students also learn the skills and benefits of working in a team as any event is managed by effective teamwork.
7. Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
The students train for Competitive examinations, participate in intercollegiate competitions, quizzes, elocutions and debates. Many such programmes challenge the Creative and Critical thinking ability of the participants and these prove valuable experiences. Research projects are a rich source of experience in Critical thinking.
8. Quest for Excellence
The aim of every curricular, co curricular and extracurricular activity of the college aims for excellence and quality enhancement. The students are motivated and rewarded at every achievement. A large number of our students have regularly featured on the merit list of the Savitribai Phule Pune University which speaks volumes forour quest for Academic excellence.
9. Physical and Emotional Health
The college has state of the Art sports facilities that include high level track and field facilities, badminton court, tennis court, gymnasium. A number of students compete at University, District, State, National and International levels. Extra coaching, kits and diet scholarships are provided for deserving students. To monitor their health , the students’ physical checkup is done. Yoga is widely promoted . Health awareness lectures and drives are conducted. The college has academic and personal counseling facilities are in place to take care of the emotional well-being of the student. Workshops and sessions to help cope with stress and anxiety are conducted.
- The academic, cultural, extracurricular, co-curricular and library activities of the college are conducted by 28 different associations, committees and units separately constituted each year by the college administration.
- Our College organizes a Science Exhibition every year for the benefit of science students and all other students as a step towards their awareness of science. Science students prepare innovative models, projects, posters etc. to exhibit their talent in different scientific concepts. Students from schools and colleges visit the exhibition every year.
- Each year the Commerce Association of our College organizes a Commerce Week. This week provides a platform to commerce students to express their understanding of academic commerce through practical performances of various commercial, business, advertising, economic and corporate concepts.
- The Commerce Department also has a Research Club that encourages students to pen their thoughts on the day to day commercial happenings in the world. These analytical thoughts of the students are published in the bi-annual bulletin , "Commercial Stride"s.
- Different departments of the Arts faculty organize students seminars, poetry-reading, dramas, elocution competitions, poster competitions and Mushairas on various social, political, historical and literary issues & undertake visits to different places of higher learning, historical importance etc.
- Almost every department takes the students for excursions, study tours and picnics to important national/international institutions, historical places, industries, model villages and recreation places to gain knowledge and develop their personalities.
- The NSS unit ofthe college actively undertakes many social, environmental and educational programs in which NSS students participate enthusiastically. A seven day residential Winter NSS Camp is organized every year at a distant village for inculcation of self-reliance and the spirit of national integration in the minds of the students. The Government of Maharashtra had recognized these efforts by giving the best N.S.S. Unit Award and the best N.S.S. Officer Award to the college. Moreover, the Government ofIndia had appreciated the efforts of our NSS unit & awarded the Indira Gandhi National Award to the college. The college actively participates in the grand rallies organised by the parent Maharashtra Cosmopolitan Education Society on the occasion of Bharat Ratna Dr. Baba Saheb Ambedkar Jayanti, Savitribai Phule Jayanti, Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Jayanti, Shiv Jayanti, Eid-e-Milad etc. This inculcates a good moral & nationalist character, importance of education specially girls’ education & promotes communal harmony to motivate peace.
- The extension activities like adult education, health and hygiene, environmental issues, personality development, fitness camp for senior citizens etc. are conducted through the Extra-mural unit of the college in association with the Dept. of Adult and continuing education of Savitribai Phule University of Pune.
- There are departmental libraries in each department that support supplementary reading on the subject. This is in addition to the facilities provided by the central library of the college. The common Reading Hall remains open between 8 am to 11 pm on all days.
- Special Multi-media rooms equipped with LCD projector, audio-visual systems, TV, VCD, OHP, Slide projector and many educational CDs and cassettes are available in the college for introducing the students to the advance techniques of learning. In addition, every department has internet connectivity to facilitate the teachers and students in advanced learning.
- Our college organizes International/National/State/University level seminars, conferences and workshops on different topics for the benefit of the teachers and students. Students too get an opportunity to interact with experts and resource persons during such events.
- Organizing inter-collegiate competitions for debate, elocution, posters, quizzes and inter- collegiate sports events are a regular feature of our college. We organize interfaculty tournaments.
- Healthy teacher-student interactions promote the excellent academic performance ofthe students.
- The college premises and the entire Azam Campus, housing 28 Educational Institutions is maintained clean, green and tobacco free. The CCTV system is set to ensure the total discipline of the Campus so that students feel safe and secured.
- To ensure that quality education be imparted, the college has taken lead in association with the parent M.C.E. Society and constituted Subject Academies in different subjects and involved the concerned subject teachers of all the institutions right from primary to higher education. This will surely benefit our young students to nurture their talent.
- A digital library (E-reading room) has been initiated by the college, where students can read text & reference books