1. The Department of Biotechnology is actively involved in the activities of the Indian Red Cross Society.
2. The Department organizes Guest lectures of eminent people from industry for the students
|Sr.No.||Name of Activity||Guest||Topic||Class|
|1||Guest Lecture||Dr. Santosh Gopale||Plant Biotechnology||T.Y.B.Sc|
|2||Guest Lecture||Mr. Suryakant Shinde||Microbial Biotechnology||S.Y & T.Y.B.Sc|
|3||Visiting Faculty||Ms. Ashu Nathani||Entrepreneurship Development||T.Y.B.Sc|
1) On Job Training
The students of Biotechnology undergo an On Job Training during vacations. Students get an opportunity to undergo training at different institutes and industries. They handle advance instruments and learn modern techniques. We have linkages with different leading institutes of Pune where our students do their ‘On Job training’. This includes AFMC, NGRC, and MAR Dental College, Z.V.M Unani Hospital, MED’s Inn Multispeciality Polyclinic and Diagnostic Centre, Serum Institute of India, , Katraj Dairy, Anandpur Diagnostic Charitable Trust, Pathology Laboratory of Sancheti Hospital, Jehangir Hospital ,Sahyadri hospital and Noble hospital, Mediplus Pathology Laboratory, Optrasystems, Poona Diabetes Centre and Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital and Research Centre.
2) Study Visits: We organize study visits to places like National Grapes Research Institute, Bhartiya Agro Industrial Foundation, KF bioplants, Katraj dairy, ATC & PTC lab of RGIITBT.
3) Guest lectures: We invite guest lecturers in our department to talk on recent topics of biotechnology.
4) Innovative methods in teaching: To support the teaching- learning process in the classes and to make teaching more effective and interactive, the teachers of the Department use PowerPoint presentations, animations and various websites.
5) Departmental Competitions: We conduct various competitions in our department viz:
- Seminar Competition
- Quiz Competition
- Building Working models
- Poster Competition
6) Science Exhibition: Every year science exhibition is organized by Science Association of our college. We motivate and guide students of F.Y., S.Y. & T.Y.B.Sc to participate in science exhibition. They exhibit different models and posters.
7) Active participation in activities of Red Cross Society, Pune: Our department is actively involved in the activities of the Indian Red Cross Society, Pune District Branch.
Ms. Deepa J. Shetty, Mrs. Shilpa Tambe and two F.Y.B.Sc students (Ms. Kranti Waghmare and Ms. Kalyani Kamble) attended a ‘Training Course for Counselors and Red Cross Youths’ organized by the Indian Red Cross Society on 12th August 2012 at Poonawaala Auditorium, B.M.C.C., Pune.
10 students of F.Y.B.Sc attended the ‘Youth Peer Education Programme’ conducted by Indian Red Cross Society, Pune District Branch in August 2012.They are called Peer Educators of Indian Red Cross Society.
A group of 11 Students of F.Y.B.Sc participated in ‘Intercollegiate Street Play competition – VIBES’ organized by Indian Red Cross Society, Pune Dist. Unit on 16th September 2012.The topic of the play was ‘Awareness on problems of Youth related to Ragging, Stress, Tensions, Relationship issues & Suicidal tendencies’
The department had organized a donation campaign for Thalassemia patients in association with the Indian Red Cross Society. The money collected was deposited in the Indian Red Cross Society, Pune branch office.
The Department of Biotechnology organized IRCS Orientation Programme on 29th October 2012 in the Assembly hall of our college. The Peer Educators of IRCS from F.Y.B.Sc. conducted the programme smoothly. Prof. R.V. Kulkarni, Honorary Secretary, IRCS, Pune District Branch was the Chief Guest and he shared valuable information about Disaster management skills with the students. Our students from F.Y. B. Sc. gave presentations on History of IRCS, HIV/AIDS awareness and Life skills.
Social Work done by the students of our Department:
The students of F.Y.B.Sc visited “Tayyebia Orphanage” situated in Camp area, Pune.There they spent some time with the kids, distributed books and chocolates to them and played games with them.
S.Y.B.Sc students visited a “Mother Teresa” old age home located at Tadiwala Road, Pune. There the students spent some quality time with the mentally retarted people. Students donated clothes to them and played games like antakshri with them. The students planted trees in their campus.
T.Y.B.Sc students as a part of social activity cleaned the campus of the college. The students went to “Tayyebia orphanage” where they distributed books among the kids. They also visited an old age home and spent some quality time with the people over there.
Welcome and Farewell of the students: We give a warm welcome to our F.Y.B.Sc students and a farewell party for T.Y.B.Sc students every year.
Alumni Meet: The department organizes Alumni meet every year. The ex-students share their views on college and their experiences at PG level and at their work places. Some of our alumni have extended their help to share their expertise in Entrepreneurship development (Ms. Ashu Nathani), Bioinformatics ( Ms. Nida Pathan), Biostatistics ( Ms Shruti Nair)